Art In the Courtyard Application Form
The Lowell Folk Festival in collaboration with
The Brush Art Gallery & Studios present
Art in the Courtyard: Fine and Functional Art
A venue of the Lowell Folk Festival
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: May 17, 2019
Celebrating the largest free Folk Festival in the country, the Lowell Folk Festival, in collaboration with the Brush Gallery & Artists Studios is pleased to announce the annual Art in the Courtyard, an art and fine craft component of the Lowell Folk Festival. This exciting collaboration will provide an opportunity for visitors to view and purchase some of the finest art and craft works being produced. The Lowell Folk Festival enjoys over 100,000 visitors over the weekend.
Art in the Courtyard will be held in the shaded, brick-lined courtyard conveniently located between the National Historical Park Visitor Center and the Brush Art Gallery and Studios. The courtyard is also adjacent to one of the main music and dance stages in the Festival. Tents will be set up for the artists to provide a welcoming place, rain or shine.
- May 17 Application and $25.00 non-refundable application fee due
- May 31 Notification of acceptance by jury
- June 14 Booth fee due
- June 28 Deadline for withdrawal (after June 28 your booth/tent fee will NOT be refunded)
Dates of Event Operations:
- Saturday, July 27, noon - 7:30 pm (overnight storage for artwork will be provided)
- Sunday, July 28, noon - 6:00 pm
- a 10' x 10' tented space with one 8 foot table and two chairs
- tent sides for perimeters of tents
- basic lighting inside top of tents
- volunteers to mind your tent during your breaks
- locked, overnight storage on Saturday evening
- this event is a venue of the Lowell Folk Festival. The Folk Festival has over 100,000 visitors annually.
- held in the brick-lined, shaded courtyard between the National Park Visitor Center and the Brush Art Gallery & Artists’ Studios
- positioned on a heavily traveled route between a major sound/dance stage and other festival activities
- free to public
- public restrooms on both sides of courtyard
- many restaurants, cafes and Festival food tents in close proximity
- correspondence and notification will be done entirely by e-mail, so please make sure the e-mail address provided is one you check frequently.
- exhibitor must use Lowell Folk Festival tents, which are included in the booth fee, along with 1 table and 2 chairs. Any additional display structures must be provided by the exhibitor. You are encouraged to hang banners in your tent.
- exhibitor-provided display structures may not be placed outside your allotted 10 x 10 space. No additional tents/coverings are permitted.
- to ensure sufficient air and light, no exhibitor-provided tent sides or tarps may be hung between 10x10 interior spaces. Festival-provided tent sides may be used on the perimeters of tents, however.
- no commercial items for resale, kits, imported or consigned goods, no recordings or CDs
- no publications permitted for sale except for items such as books entirely illustrated by the artist or entirely written by the artist (i.e. poetry, prose, short stories, etc.)
- artwork/crafts must be produced by the exhibitor; absolutely no 3RD party artwork/crafts
- duplicate arts and fine crafts will be limited as far as possible
- exhibitors must remain for entire show; no late set-ups or early breakdowns.
- please plan for sufficient inventory
- no alcoholic beverages; event takes place on federal property
- artwork must be appropriate for family viewing
- exhibitor is responsible for handling own sales
- exhibitor is responsible for collecting and forwarding Massachusetts sales tax to Massachusetts Department of Revenue
In order to ensure the quality, variety and aesthetics of this exhibition, assistance will be provided by a six-member jury of qualified arts professionals and the US Park Service. Five (5) JPEG images that best represent your work must be submitted for jurying via the form below.
- Non-refundable application/jury fee of $25.00 due May 17
- After submitting the form below, you will be e-mailed an invoice/confirmation and an agreement form. Print the agreement and invoice. Sign the agreement. Write your check to The Lowell Festival Foundation, and send invoice, signed agreement and check to the Brush Art Gallery, 256 Market St., Lowell, MA 01852. Payment/mailing instructions will also be included on the e-mailed invoice/confirmation.
- Sharing spaces is permitted up to a total of three artists in one tent, but each participating artist must submit an application, $25.00 application fee, and 5 JPEG images on-line.
- If you are selected, you will be notified by May 31 . Important -- your tent fee is due by June 14
- One artist in a 10 x 10 space: $400
- Two artists in a 10 x 10 space: $200 each, $400 total
- Three artists in a 10 x 10 space: $135 each, $405 total
Please fill in the information below. All information is required unless otherwise indicated: